Paris Region Facts and Figures 2023
Paris Region Facts and Figures 2023 provides an overview of the economic dynamism and social life of Paris Region, positioning it among the top regions in Europe and worldwide.
- Paris Region accounts for 18.3% of the French population and 31% of the national GDP.
- It ranks #1 worldwide for reinvestments and for foreign direct investments in R&D and Corporate and Investment Banking.
- It hits #1 worldwide for basic services: health, education, security and for political stability and legal security.
- It stands out as best Region of the Future in Europe according to fDi Intelligence Eupean Regions of the Future 2023.
- Paris Saclay University ranks for the world's topuniversities in Mathematics (GRAS, Shanghai Ranking Consultancy, 2022).
- It is No. 1 destination by number of attendees in meetings organized in 2021 (International Congress and Convention Association, data 2021).
- It is leading innovative city (JLL, 2020/2022) and largest science and technology cluster in Europe.
- It ranks #1 in Europe for its R&D workforce with 127,868 researchers and 21.3bn R&D expenditure, the highest amount of R&D budget in Europe.
- Home to 1,458,990 companies (with 275,206 new businesses created in 2021) and to the widest real estate market in Europe, Paris Region is Europe’s highest concentration of Fortune Global 500 corporations.
- It is the top European region with 16,560 sites depending on a foreign company which represent 1 job out of 6 in the area.
- A gateway to Europe and the world with 3 international airports and 7 TGV high-speed train stations.
- 25 million inhabitants within a 200-kilometer radius, Paris Region is the leading importing (27% of imports) and exporting (21% of exports) region in France.
- With approximately 700,000 sq m of floor space, it offers the richest and most varied range of reception facilities for business events in Europe.
- Paris Region will host ten Rugby World Cup games from September 8th to October 28th, 2023.
Paris Region Facts and Figures 2023 is a collaborative publication produced by Choose Paris Region, L’Institut Paris Region, and the Paris Île-de-France Regional Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
This study is linked to the following theme :
Economic transformations in the Paris Region
Note rapide Economy, #48
The Paris Region is a major globally competitive economic area boasting undeniable assets that enhance both its performance and its attractiveness. It nonetheless faces a number of challenges requiring profound economic transformations that the COVID-19 crisis has thrown ...