Paris Region Key Figures 2018
Paris Region is France's leading economic region. Its main assets:
- A major global region with the highest GDP in the European Union (EU28) in billions of euros: 30.3% of the French nation's GDP and 4.5% of the EU28’s GDP, ahead of Greater London and Lombardy (Italy).
- The concentration of jobs, corporate headquarters, SMEs, technology companies, startups, world-class competitiveness clusters, foreign groups…
- Its wide range of business sectors, its deeply rooted industrial tradition, and one of the highest concentrations of activity in the science and technology sectors.
- A consumer marketplace of considerable importance: 12.1 million inhabitants in the region, 9.1 million visitors in the Region’s main conference and exhibition centers, 44.9 million tourists.
- A young and cosmopolitan population, and a highly qualified and productive workforce at competitive rates: 18.2% of France's population, 26.4% of students in France, 23.1% of jobs in France, 35% of French executives.
- The #1 innovation hub in Europe with the highest R&D spending and the largest pool of R&D workers.
- Internationally renowned for excellence in education, science and technology (top business, engineering and specialized higher educational institutions, Fields Medals, Abel and Nobel prizes, innovative companies).
- World-class infrastructure: Europe’s second-largest airport; most efficient public transport system further reinforced by the Grand Paris development project; Europe’s number one road network; second largest European river port (70 ports, 500 km of navigable waterways); an excellent broadband communication network.
- A region in reinvention with major infrastructure and urban planning projects.
- The largest stock of commercial property in Europe, and attractive, diversified and very competitive real estate, with new office districts and business parks, as well as the opening of coworking spaces, "startup factories"...
- Global business event hub for the MICE industry (Meetings, Incentives, Conventions, Exhibitions). With 700,000 sqm in exhibition space, Paris Region is an outstanding world-class destination for tradeshows and Paris is the world's leading destination for international congresses.
- A world-class destination for tourism.
Cette étude est reliée à la catégorie :
The Paris Region economy in 2025: future transformations and action drivers
Note rapide Economy, #16
The Paris Region economy is at a turning point where current transitions require a rethinking of existing economic models and practices. Between now and 2025, the region will have to adapt to sweeping changes, primarily a reconfigured labour market, more eco-friendly ...
620,000 jobs in the Paris Region depend on foreign firms
Note rapide Economy, #15
With one salaried job out of six in the market sector, the Paris Region is the top French location for foreign business groups. Most of these are concentrated in the Hauts-de-Seine “département” (inner suburbs of Paris) and in the city of Paris itself. The main foreign ...